Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tuesday's Tales 7.17.12


Hi guys.

Everyone staying cool?  I hope so.  If you need an indoor, air-conditioned activity, well, how about picking up a new book?

For the adults, I highly recommend Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn:


I know that I mentioned this book briefly last week, and I finally finished it over the weekend.  I stayed up late for two nights absolutely and totally engrossed in the story, waiting to figure it all out and see how it ended.  It was fun and funny; nerve-wracking and confusing; satisfying and bothersome; overall, a great read.  Just when I thought I had figured it out, more questions were raised and I was kept guessing.  Gone Girl is a great summer read for all.



Now, on to the children's picture book for the week - Yumi by Annelore Parot.



While the story is sweet as it introduces the reader to Yumi, a kokeshi doll, and her friends, the illustrations and book design were what really captivated me.  I must admit, I have a thing for Japanese art, architecture, textiles, etc., and Yumi is a feast for the eyes with its patterns, colors, and overall bold, graphic designs.  The cover with a fabric Yumi stitched on with her kokeshi tag was what initially caught my attention, but then each page is filled with fun illustrations of sweet Yumi and her life.


We all love Japanese food in our house, and P was especially thrilled to find tamago (the omelet sushi) in the illustration above.  The story isn't exactly riveting or gripping, but where it soars is within its illustrations that keep little readers busy.  Whether the reader is helping Yumi find her friend, Sakumi, or trying to get past the fluttering fish kites, there is something to look for or manipulate on each page.

Yumi is a fun book with beautiful illustrations that this mommy enjoys just as much as her girls do.

P.S.  Something tells me I may be adding this one to my collection soon:


No comments: